Friday 31 October 2014

A stroll with the Hasselblad

When I tested my new-old Hasselblad 500CM about a month ago I found random light streaks across the film, a sign that light trap on A12 film back needs a replacement. I ordered foam pad and foil from eBay for $16 and installed it myself following provided instructions, it was pretty easy and straight forward. Now it was time to take the camera out for a spin.
Despite nice foliage colours I decided to use B&W film. I took only one roll of 120 film with me, 12 exposures. Actually 11 because I quickly wasted the first frame by checking the shutter without the dark slide.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* CF F/4 50 mm

Since colours were no longer in play I focused on light, shapes, textures and lines. All pictures below were taken with Ilford Delta 100 and developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 14 min @ 20 C˚


Film definitely slowed me down.  I find myself spending more time "studying" the object, choosing the right angle, shapes and lines. Composition is different with square format and very enjoyable. It is easier to balance the square and you don't need to follow the rule of thirds.

Carl Zeiss Planar T* C F/2.8 80mm

Both Planar and Distagon are excellent lenses. Images are sharp and yet "airy-dreamy"

   Carl Zeiss Planar T* C F/2.8 80mm

Carl Zeiss Planar T* C F/2.8 80mm

I also liked how Iford Delta 100 came out when developed in Rodinal 1:50, great tonal range, fine grain and excellent acutance.  Here is an example:

The image

and 100% crop


Overall I am very pleased with results, 5 keepers out of 11 frames.

Cheers,
vkphoto


1 comment:

  1. great set! film definitely has its charm

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.